Saturday, March 7, 2009

The ultrasound.....

For whatever reason, I feel the need to blog about our upcoming scan. This blog is mainly for me, really. I love looking back, seeing what we were up to, what I was thinking about, what was going on. I really want to record my feelings about the possibility of the baby being born with Down syndrome. So, at some point I can look back and remember this time in our lives, it has been unbelievably clarifying for us. First and foremost we have sought refuge in God and his perfect plan. Because of seeking our Lord, we have grown much closer as a couple. I can tell you now we have been very blessed the past two weeks. Also, I would like to answer questions that I have gotten over the past couple of weeks. I should begin with saying, we are not devastated about having a child with Down syndrome, I think this really throws people for a loop. It is the exact opposite really. Josh and I are humbled that God would see us fit to parent such a beautiful spirit. We are however, concerned with the medical side of things, having a medically fragile baby. We will lean on God and each other if this happens to be the case. I am also a little unsure about providing attention, care, and love for 3 under 4 if one happens to need a little extra. I am fortunate that we live closer to our families now and they have been completely supportive! We also have a wonderful church family, it is very nice to have that source of love as well!
As you can imagine there are a ton of unknowns. Even after the scan we will not know for sure. We will be given another ratio. The only way to know is to have an amino. Although we ruled it out early in pregnancy, we might consider it later on. It is not that it matters, we just want to make sure we give this baby the best start. To do that we would need to have him/her in Little Rock if he/she happens to have an extra chromosome. Mena Regional is simply not qualified to adequately care for infants with special needs. I had the quad-screen and it came back with a seriously high positive, considering my age. It has a much lower false positive than the triple-screen.
With all of that being said.....please keep us in your prayers! I am going back tonight (bye bye internet, it has been fun:) and Pop and NeNa are bringing in the kiddo's on Monday. They really wanted to be in town for the ultrasound. I will update as soon as I can on the results! Thanks in advance for your prayers!

0 comments: