Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Struggling....

I am having the hardest time with the prospect of returning (I use the term returning very loosely, I have worked a grand total of 3 months in 3 years;) to work! I have an interview for a case management position on the 30th. I LOVE casework, but do not want to leave the kids for 40 plus hours a week. I would miss them so much. I miss them now when they nap or sleep in or spend time with someone and I stay home with them.
Another option would be for me to work as a tech at a hospital and go back to school for a nursing certificate (there isn't a school close that has a bachelor program). I could work 12 hour shifts* hopefully, that would cut down on time away from the kids. The only thing is I am not at all passionate about nursing*. The only reason I would do it is to be home with the kids more. I do not feel the same way about nursing as I do case management. The prospect of working with children and families makes me very excited, not so with nursing. In a perfect world I would be able to continue to stay home but that is not an option at this point....... I am not looking forward to giving up my stay-at-home-mommy status:(. Even if I work part time it is not the same as being a full time mom.
*I have worked 12 hour shifts before and did not like it. I did not see EJ for 3 days, it felt like. But maybe, if I do it, this time will be different;).
*I know I would not be the only nurse who felt this way;). Also, I am very well aware that nurses also help people. I am in no way saying they don't, I want to make that very clear!!

0 comments: