Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The Business of Being Born....

I fully admit that I am way behind , I JUST watched it in its entirety. I LOVED it! Anyone who knows me knows I am a huge advocate for birth and birth choices. It is wonderful! With both of my kids we looked into home birth, for situational reasons we decided against it. With EJ I saw a midwife for my prenatal visits but a physician attended the birth. G's birth was attended by a midwife. She was wonderful but because I gave birth in a hospital, I was given pitocin for failure to progress. I came in at 5 and 100%, I stayed there for 12 hours , my water was broken. During those 12 hours I was up walking around the halls, taking showers, whatever helped. But, no progress was made so I given pit. I had been in labor 41 + hours, contracting every 8-3 min. at that point. I had not had any interventions until the pit. With all that being said, next time (if all goes as planed) will be at home. I want a completely natural birth, for me natural birth is defined as absolutely no interventions. No artificial rupture of membranes, no meds pain or otherwise, a birth without continues monitoring. This documentary solidified that decision. However, I do disagree with a part of it, that women who receive a cesarean section do not bond or have the capacity to love their babies as much as natural birthing moms. I was a c-section baby (due to complete breech presentation, I was a buddha baby:) and my Mom loves me as much as humanly possible! Also my best friend's son was a section baby and he could not be more loved and/or bonded. I just felt the need to insert that and one more thing..... I do not think in anyway that a home or unmediated birth is right for everyone. Not everyone desires that and I pass no judgement for that decision. Natural birth is not a marker for a good or better mom. It does not denote a higher love for the baby, in my opinion.
Without further ado here is the link The Business of Being Born, enjoy!
For those of you who will not take the time to watch it and think that a home birth is a super risky endeavor, I will share a quick stat (you know how much I love statistics:) home births are just as safe as hospital births!! It has been statistically proven by sound scientific studies. Some studies suggest that low risk deliveries are safer at home.